Sunday, May 16, 2010

Puppy Love.

I read a pretty interesting quote today, "the best relationships are centered around lust."

I'm not quite sure if the nineteen year old college freshman that posted it on HIS facebook status meant it the way that I took it, but here are my thoughts:

I've been wanting to write a blog about puppy love for a while. Until recently, I always believed that puppy love is that little kindergarten crush that you have on a boy or girl in 6th grade; the one where you hold hands, get butterflies, and honestly believe that you have the potential to spend the rest of your life together. But does puppy love ever have to end? Can happily married couples be in puppy-love? I think to be a happily married couple, puppy-love has to exist.

It's kind of like the honeymoon stage of a relationship: Boy and girl (or girl and girl or boy and boy) meet, are instantly attracted to each other and for the next 3 months are connected at the hip and constantly giggly and obnoxiously involve themselves in gross, annoying PDA. Yet, after the 3 month mark, the honeymoon either ends or continues, as does the relationship.

This quote made me think a lot as well as analyze my own relationship. The if the relationships that continue on past the honeymoon stage are strong enough, the lust of puppy-love has to exist.

Not to get mushy, but I can honestly say that I still get butterflies around my boyfriend of almost 2 1/2 years. The two of us have been through some uneasy obstacles through our relationship, but I believe that if it wasn't for the lust and the ongoing puppy-love that exists between us we wouldn't be where we are today.

At the retirement home, I constantly see husbands pulling out chairs for their wives of sixty + years, holding their hands as they walk slowly through the hallways, and not to mention, arguing stupidly like couples always do. Things like this are the crutches to many relationships. If puppy-love stopped in 6th grade, two residents of the retirement home (both in their late 80's, maybe early ninety's) wouldn't have just gotten engaged.

Be in a relationship with someone who makes you smile, gives you butterflies, and who takes care of you. Make sure that you never lose sight of the lust that you felt when you first met each other. On the other hand, be the same way to your partner. Never lose hope in puppy-love.

1 comment:

  1. Lindy.. I totally agree.. and after being married to my hubby now for almost 9 years, but together for almost 16 (wow that's a long time).. I totally agree with you. And sometimes when life gets busy and tough, its good to know that I have my puppy-love husband there to support me every step of the way.

    this was a great post :)

    ReplyDelete