Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Beautiful inspiration is everywhere. If you open your eyes to it, you will be delightfully surprised at the amount of undiscovered beauty that surrounds you daily.


Recently, I visited a resident from the retirement home that I work at in the hospital. Pat, an eighty-some woman with more life in her than I could ever imagine in myself, suffers from dementia.

Seeing this woman, this amazing, lively, incredible woman strapped down to a hospital bed really opened my eyes to what life is about. I couldn't help but to imagine the life that Pat once lived; I can't imagine that she, nor her husband of 50+ years, would ever have dreamed that she would end up in this state of mind. Yet, all I could think about was what incredibly beautiful human beings the Stewart's are. Despite Pat's dementia, this couple works together everyday to continue to express their undying love for eachother.

For every person, beauty has its own definition. You can find beauty in a book, in a tree, in a baby (or in this case, in elderly love), or in a song. Beauty shines through in words, in feelings, and in imagination. I challenge you to open your eyes to what beauty really is. It's more than the dictionary definition, it's a part of everyday earthly existence.

Though the days become harder and harder, the Stewart's never think about giving up. True love exists through everlasting beauty.

Find Beauty. Live in Beauty. Believe in Beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment